I’m part of a small mastermind group and really enjoy it. We meet every two weeks on Tuesday nights using Google Hangouts and Slack. Why a virtual meeting? I am in Chattanooga, two guys are in Nashville, one is in North Carolina, and the other is in Japan.
What is a mastermind group?
Groups like this have been around for thousands of years, but the term was coined by Napoleon Hill in his book Think and Grow Rich. He defined it as a “co-ordination of knowledge and effort, in a spirit of harmony, between two or more people, for the attainment of a definite purpose.”
A group of like-minded people who meet regularly to talk, work, brainstorm, encourage, and critique is a mastermind group. Jonathan Milligan shares a few examples of mastermind groups that help give us a picture of this.
- Nine Old Men – Walt Disney’s Mastermind group that created the classics Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Peter Pan, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, and Sleeping Beauty.
- The Inklings – a group of writers and poets which included C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Owen Barfield, and Charles Williams.
- The Junto—Benjamin Franklin’s mastermind group which would establish the first U.S. lending library and formed the academic team for the University of Pennsylvania.
What is not a mastermind group?
- A place to network.
- A class (physical or virtual).
- A place to make money.
- A group therapy session.
What does a mastermind group meeting look like?
Groups are as different as the people included, but it is important to have a plan and agree to it. Some meetings look like this:
- Give updates
- Someone is in the Hotseat
- Set Goals
- Select the person for the next meeting’s Hotseat
- Share something that is working for them.
- Ask for advice.
- Share a resource they recently found.
These are just a couple of examples.
Do you need to be a part of a mastermind group?
None of us have all the answers. Groups like this are good for business people leaders, stay-at-home moms, ministers, and more. When I was approached about joining this group in 2015, it was advertised as a group of guys who -were interested in productivity, fitness, faith, and more. We are all Christian men who attended the same college, but we were not all good friends then. Now we are doing different types of work including event planning, accounting, missionary work, pastoral ministry, and running a successful greenhouse business. A mastermind group may fill a hole in your life if you need an honest group to confide in and bounce ideas off of.
Maybe you should start one or join one. Some work and others don’t. Some last for years and years, while others are just for a season or a project. Accountability with other people that you trust is a good thing. I enjoy my mastermind group very much and I hope you find your group soon.